Some time ago (September 3, 2013, apparently), I had just finished reading Analogue: A Hate Story (which I highly recommend, by the way) and was particularly taken with the art. At that point it seems my engineer’s instincts kicked in and it seemed reasonable to reverse-engineer the resource archives to extract the art for my own nefarious purposes.
A little examination of the game files revealed a convenient truth: it was built with Ren’Py, a (open-source) visual novel engine written in Python. Python is a language I’m quite familiar with, so the actual task promised to be well within my expertise.
Long story short, I’ve build some rudimentary tools for working with compiled Ren’py data. You can get it from my repository on BitBucket. Technically-inclined readers might also want to follow along in the code while reading.
There are a large number of games designed with Ren’py. It’s an easy tool to get started with and hack on, since the script language is fairly simple and because it’s open-source, more sophisticated users are free to bend it to their will. A few examples of (in my opinion) high-quality things built with the engine:
- Long Live the Queen
- Analogue: A Hate Story and Hate Plus
- Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos (and the planned sequels)
- Katawa Shoujo
Since visual novels tend to live or die on the combination of art and writing, the ability to examine the assets outside the game environment offers interesting possibilities.
Since it was handy, I started my experimentation with Analogue.